Designed to make you want to read books!

Friday 25 November 2011

Book Review - Before I Go to Sleep

So over the last few weeks, I kept hearing people talking about this new book Before I Go to Sleep. Finally, after a recommendation from Harper Collins, I went straight down to to Indigo and picked up a copy.

First, let me say that this is not the typical book that I like to read. That being said, this one one of the most captivating books I have ever set my eyes on. I read it all in one sitting, I just could not put it down!

The book starts off in a total state of confusion for both the reader and the main character, Christine. Everything is described as unfamiliar and frightening and we start to feel her confusion. After a few pages we find out that she is seeing a doctor and she has started keeping a journal. She has a rare disease that causes her to lose all her memories of the day when she goes to sleep and this journal is a tool to try an help her restore them.
I thought this was a brilliant ploy by author S.J. Watson to pull you into Christine's world and makes you see the world through her eyes. You find yourself relying on her journal for information just as much as she does and as the novel progresses you begin to feel just how important it is to her and what would happen to her life if it were to disappear.As you read on, Christine starts to collect fragments of her past and slowly pieces them together. But at the same time, you are following along with her trying to piece it together on your own.
This book is full of surprises and just when you think you've got it figured out, everything gets turned around on you! This is S.J. Watson's debut novel and it is phenomenal! I strongly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It's a great read for both men and women and it will keep you guessing right up to the end.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment