Designed to make you want to read books!

Monday 9 January 2012

Book Review - 1Q84


I have been very interested in reading this book for a long time. I sometimes get this sensation when a book catches my eye and that book never fails to appeal to my interests. This book was no exception. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami was everything I hoped it would be.

Tengo and Aomame (Ah-oh-mah-meh) are two very different people. Tengo is an aspiring novelist trying to make his mark on the world. Aomame is a serial killer. The smallest of strings links these two together but it is a commanding and unbreakable bond.
Twenty years have passed since they have seen each other. But one small gesture has held them together through memory. As a young girl she gave her heart away and disappeared. Now fate draws the two souls together in the city of Tokyo in events that will change the world itself. Tengo is caught up in a fraudulent scheme against his will and comes into contact with the strange character of Fuka-Eri, an unprecedented author with a story and a grain of truth. Meanwhile Aomame attacks the heart of a sinister group, an unnerving religious commune led by Leader. But the world around them is different and their paths come dangerously close to one another. Will they ever see each other again? There is much to learn in this new world with two moons. The world of 1Q84.

I was absolutely blown away by the level of character development shown by Haruki Murakami. I felt as if I knew the heart of each character as well as I knew myself. At times this slows down the pace of the novel but every piece of information is relevant. As a reader you can understand every decision that the characters make and that's important. The story was compelling and the details were breathtaking. I suggest you set some time aside for this novel. It was exceptionally good but it does take time. Take a seat and enter the world of one of the best books of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment